April 22, 2007

Flex Builder 2.01 under Linux

UPDATE ON THE UPDATE: Flash Builder for Linux has been CANCELLED. There just isn’t a big enough Linux market for Adobe to dedicate so much effort to supporting the third platform. Eclipse is written in Java, true, but it never really lived up to the promise of “write-once run-anywhere”.

Adobe will no longer be investing in the development of a version of Adobe® Flex® Builder™ or Adobe Flash® Builder™ that runs on Linux operating systems. This decision is specific to Flash Builder and does not affect other Linux activities for other Adobe products. Linux developers will still be able to use the SDK from the line command to build Flex applications.

Source

UPDATE! Official Flex Builder 3 for Linux!!
Check it out here!

The stuff below is left here for posterity’s sake…but you probably want the link above, and forget everything below…

With a bit of tweaking, I’ve gotten Flex Builder 2.01 working under Linux. Everything seems to work, including debugging, except for the Design view.

Here is a brief outline:

1. Download and extract Eclipse. I used Eclipse SDK 3.2.2 NOTE: I could not get it to work when eclipse was installed in /usr. Unless you can figure it out, do not install eclipse via your OS, simply download the .tgz and extract it to your home directory.
  2. Download and extract the free Flex 2.01 SDK.
  3. Download and install the Flex Charting Components (same link as above) Run the installer by java -jar flex_charting_2_installer.jar and install it to the root of your Flex2 SDK directory.
  4. Download the Flash 9 Debugging player
    1. install the plugin into your browser by running plugin/debugger/install_flash_player_9_linux/flashplayer-installer.
    2. (as root) copy standalone/debugger/flashplayer to /usr/local/bin
    3. create a symlink for gflashplayer, (as root) ln -s /usr/local/bin/flashplayer /usr/local/bin/gflashplayer
  5. Download the FlexBuilder 2.01 Plugin for Linux (mirror)
    1. Extract this to the root eclipse install folder. It will create files in the configuration, plugins, and features directories which are already part of eclipse.
    2. Open eclipse/configuration/com.adobe.flexbuilder/flexbuilder2.xml and change the value of <sdkpath> to point to the root directory where you installed the Flex 2 SDK
  6. (OPTIONAL) Fix the annoying ‘Incorrect flash player installed’ popup every time you run your project:
    1. Download debugui.jar
    2. Overwrite the file eclipse/plugins/com.adobe.flexbuilder.debug.ui_2.0.155577/debugui.jar with the downloaded one
  7. (OPTIONAL) Use the windows flash player with WINE instead of native linux flash player.
    1. Make sure you have WINE installed correctly
    2. Download the windows standalone projector debugger (see link at top for player downloads)
    3. Download this flashplayer script and place in your path, as well as rename the linux player so it doesn’t interfere. You probably still need the symlink to gflashplayer as above.
  8. (OPTIONAL) If you already use eclipse, it’s possible it wont see the new Flex plugins. Simply run the following command to get eclipse to search for your newly installed stuff:
    1. “./eclipse -clean”

That should be it! The only problem I’ve had is switching to design view messes everything up. Just stay in source view and you’ll be fine. Also, whenever I try to debug, it says I don’t have flash 9 installed, but I just press continue, and debugging works like normal (catching traces, breakpoint on crash, etc).

Thanks to this chinese guy’s post for figuring it out. He has a few more posts on the issue ([1], [2]), but I didn’t seem to need any of the info in them.

Somewhat related, this post talks about other ways of using Flex 2 / AS3 under linux.

Filed under: Flash,flex — davr @ 11:14 pm

1. I have Flex Builder running happily on Ubuntu Feisty, but I have trouble entering a serial number? Is there something special that must be done to add a serial number for FB on Linux?

Comment by david — August 9, 2007 @ 11:55 am

2. […] full time linux and that his big concern is that he cant do Flex development. And in the comments daver refered to his post outlining the steps to get flex builder running on […]

Pingback by The simFluence : Developing Flex Applications on Linux — August 9, 2007 @ 11:58 am

3. You need a valid serial number, that is, you must have legally purchased a copy of Flex Builder 2 from Adobe.

Comment by davr — August 9, 2007 @ 1:09 pm

4. I replaced debugui.jar with the original one in the plugin, but I can’t get debug to work. Any ideas?

Comment by wwwpol — August 9, 2007 @ 3:05 pm

5. wwwpol: Do you have a debugging flash player installed?

Comment by davr — August 9, 2007 @ 3:41 pm

6. I did install the debug player. I will try again.

Comment by wwwpol — August 10, 2007 @ 7:57 am

7. That was the problem. I thought I had installed it previously. Thanks

Comment by wwwpol — August 10, 2007 @ 8:07 am

8. davr> Thanks for the response. I do have a valid Windows number for FB on Windows. In fact, my IT dept has given me 2 different ones to try, both of which are rejected by the “Manage Flex Serial Numbers” dialog box.

Comment by david — August 10, 2007 @ 11:20 am

9. This is strange, but now I’ve entered the serial number again in the dialog mentioned above from the Help menu and exited Eclipse. When I start Eclipse again, I am challenged for a serial #, and entering the one I just entered gets an “invalid serial #” message. So, I click Try and suddenly I’m using the Full version, not the Trial.

Anyway, thanks for your earlier reply.

Comment by david — August 10, 2007 @ 11:28 am

10. The Trial version is exactly the same as the Full version, the only difference is after 30 days it stops working. I guess we’ll find out in a month if it accepted it or not 🙂

Comment by davr — August 10, 2007 @ 12:09 pm

11. Does anyone have problem opening the Flex Properties view ?

Keep getting this “com/adobe/flexbuilder/utils/osnative/NativeControl” problem

Anyone face this problem before?

regards,
    clayton

Comment by Clayton Narcis — August 11, 2007 @ 9:45 pm

12. Problem solved, didnt know what i did, but the Flex properties view works for now.

Has anyone figure out whats wrong with the design view?

regards,
    clayton

Comment by Clayton Narcis — August 13, 2007 @ 6:31 am

13. I think the design view has some Windows-only native code in it, which is why it will likely never work unless by some chance Adobe decides to officially port it to Linux.

Comment by davr — August 13, 2007 @ 9:34 am

14. Bugger,
    figured as much..

But at the moment, this is good enough for me to start learning actionscript.

Btw,
    did anyone had problem with their Open Resource dialog shortcut key (Shift + Ctrl + R)?

mine completely burn when i installed flex builder plugin.

it just wont work anymore, had to nagivate to the menu and click on the open resource manually

regards,
    clayton

Comment by Clayton Narcis — August 13, 2007 @ 11:13 pm

15. Well, things didn’t work out as well as I had hoped. My 30-day trial has run out and FlexBuilder still won’t accept either of 2 perfectly legal FlexBuilder for Windows licenses. Do you have any idea why FB might not accept a license key? I’ve followed your steps a few different times and still it’s not working out.

regards,

david

Comment by david — August 27, 2007 @ 10:34 am

16. I was able to successfully install the beta 3 version from http://labs.eshangrao.com/

I tried several combinations and did not find that there was any problem using eclipse 3.3 or higher versions of java.

One thing one must do is download the mac or windows install, install it, and take out the Moxie sdk (which I did in a windows virtual machine) and put it somewhere on the linux machine so that flex can find it. With a default windows install it is in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 3\sdks\moxie then in eclipse go to Window->Preferences->Flex->Installed Flex SDKs to tell it where you put the sdk.

Also, I found that running the flashplayer under wine did not work very well. It did run but sometimes objects would not be visable in debug mode.

I also found that the flash debug plugin didn’t work at all in debug mode. Caused my system to lock up. What I did to get it to work was change the debug profile in eclipse to run the .swf directly instead of the .html. This caused the standalone flashplayer to run which worked perfectly.

Design mode of course still does not work.

Thanks to all for their helpful comments and especially to whomever ported it!

Comment by Paul Dale — August 29, 2007 @ 4:06 am

17. […] Some say it is possible to run Flex Builder on Linux, here […]

Pingback by Flash/ActionScript3 “Programming” under Ubuntu at William Brown Street — August 31, 2007 @ 1:46 am

18. Just a note ….

I’m running the latest eclipse 3.3 ( Eclipse IDE for java developers )

I installed a 2nd instance ( 3.2 ) just for flex builder, and it worked great. But out of curiosity, I followed the guide above, and extracted to my 3.3 directory, and it’s working just fine for 3.3.

Getting rid of 3.2, and I’m back to a single eclipse install with the flex builder plugin.

I haven’t messed around with the debug view yet, but the as and mxml editors are working perfectly.

Murf

Comment by Dean Murphy — September 1, 2007 @ 5:10 am

19. […] ลองค้นหาใน Google ก่อนก็เจอวิธีใช้แบบฟรีๆ เข้า โดยคุณสมบัติที่มีก็คงเป็น Auto […]

Pingback by แนท » Flex2 builder สำหรับ Linux? — September 10, 2007 @ 7:06 am

20. There is a new beta Flash player for Linux that’s available for downloading (http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer9/), but once installed, FlexBuilder can no longer connect to the debugger. Is there an easy workaround for this, or does it require waiting for Adobe to release a standalone player to match the plugin?

Comment by david — September 10, 2007 @ 1:11 pm

21. david: you need the debugging version of the player/plugin. I’m not sure that adobe releases beta versions of their debugging player.

Comment by davr — September 10, 2007 @ 7:11 pm

22. Yeah, that’s what I was afraid of. Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I have to use the beta for developing my current feature because the released flash player for linux has a bug that prevents the DataEvent.UPLOAD_COMPLETE_DATA from firing…and this is fixed in the beta.

regards,

david

Comment by david — September 11, 2007 @ 4:41 am

23. Okay, to answer my own question, you can get the very latest standalone player which allows debugging from FlexBuilder by downloading the Flex 3 SDK (http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flex/sdk/flex3sdk.html) and looking in the runtime directory.

Comment by david — September 11, 2007 @ 11:15 am

24. […] E文好的话,参考这篇文章 […]

Pingback by Linux+Eclipse+FlexBuilder — September 13, 2007 @ 1:38 pm

25. Flex en actionscript 3 onder linux…

In mijn zoektocht om mijn nieuwe telefoon te synchroniseren met m’n desktop kwam ik vreemd genoeg een aantal artikeltjes tegen waarin mensen beweren dat flex en actionscript 3 onder linux aan de praat te krijgen zijn:

– Een blog waarin de compiler…

Trackback by Func. News — September 23, 2007 @ 12:32 am

26. I had the same problem as david above, that Flex Builder 2 on Linux was rejecting my valid serial numbers. I found that running Eclipse as root made it work. When I installed Eclipse and FB2, I installed them as root so they would be available to all users of the machine, so it makes sense. (It’s just that it could use a more informative error message.)

Comment by Dave — September 25, 2007 @ 2:58 pm

27. […] Yo tenía un “Flex-Linux-Builder” medio que funcionando por ahi desde hacía un tiempo gracias a un post de Robots w/Laser: Flex Builder 2.01 under Linux. […]

Pingback by Flex Builder Alpha para Linux « Jorge Díaz’s Weblog — October 3, 2007 @ 6:21 am

28. Hey all, I wrote a script based on this tutorial. And it does everything in once,
    I dont know if the script totally foul proof. (Its my first bash script) But for
    me it works everything will be installed on the right position. And you can change
    the vars in the script. It also changes the read&write permissions and it copies
    the frameworks folder from the SDK to the installed location of eclipse. Download
    the 4 packages FCC2_MLP_WWE, flash_player_9_linux_dev,flex2_sdk_hf1 and
    FlexBuilder_2.01_for_Linux to the same folde and put my script in the same location.
    Its is almost silence install the only thing that i wasnt to automise was the part
    of installing the flash player plugin in the browser. I put that part on the end
    so everything is done then user feedback requested and then eclipse starts.

Here is the link:

Comment by Elwin — November 29, 2007 @ 6:56 am

29. Hey all, I wrote a script based on this tutorial. And it does everything in once,
    the 4 packages FCC2_MLP_WWE, flash_player_9_linux_dev,flex2_sdk_hf1 and
    so everything is done then user feedback requested and then eclipse starts.

Comment by Elwin — November 29, 2007 @ 6:57 am

30. Oeps sorry for the spam, but I didnt saw the message so I supposed something was wrong in it! So you can remove the last messages the first was fine.

Comment by Elwin — November 29, 2007 @ 6:59 am

31. hey..

after months i found this side again. i didnt try the install script yet.

i wonna sum up, what the flex plugin does (+) and doesnt (-) on my 64bit ubuntu machine:
    + color coding
    – code hinting (ala this class supports this function that starts with your already types letters)
    – code refactoring (big word but i mean that it rewrites class names everywhere when you change them ect)
    – compiling (i still use ants..)
    – debugging (i use ant to launch the commandline debugger)
    + preview (the swf viewer in eclipse)
    – design view
    – violating the sandbox for dev. purpose (cs3/flex builder/plugin on win/mac allow you to access www, i use localhost as proxy)

anybody disagree or something to add?

Comment by kzm — January 15, 2008 @ 5:36 am

32. I am seeing the same problem Mindscout reported above, which is that AS3 code is not syntax-highlighted within MXML files. The weird thing is that in almost all of my mxml files it *does* highlight the AS3 code… it is just one or two files where it refuses to do it. Even weirder is that renaming the file to something else (but still .mxml) fixes the problem! So if MyView.mxml is not highlighting the AS3, I rename it to MyViewj.mxml and it highlights fine. Then I rename it back to MyView.mxml and the problem comes back!

I’m really fond of the filenames I chose the *first* time, so I’d rather find a real fix for this. 🙂 Anyone have any hints?
    Dave

Comment by Dave — February 7, 2008 @ 3:15 pm

33. […] This guy did a very good “How to” for setting up Flex Builder 2.01 under Linux […]

Pingback by “How to” for setting up Flex Builder 2.01 under Linux | Decodedbits [dot] com — March 23, 2008 @ 10:00 am

34. […] This guy did a very good “How to” for setting up Flex Builder 2.01 under Linux […]

Pingback by andreas04: close to attraction — June 30, 2008 @ 8:42 pm

35. […] This guy did a very good “How to” for setting up Flex Builder 2.01 under Linux […]

Pingback by Setting up Flex Builder 2.01 under Linux – jpablobr.com — January 24, 2010 @ 11:07 pm