April 22, 2007

Flex Builder 2.01 under Linux

UPDATE ON THE UPDATE: Flash Builder for Linux has been CANCELLED. There just isn’t a big enough Linux market for Adobe to dedicate so much effort to supporting the third platform. Eclipse is written in Java, true, but it never really lived up to the promise of “write-once run-anywhere”.

Adobe will no longer be investing in the development of a version of Adobe® Flex® Builder™ or Adobe Flash® Builder™ that runs on Linux operating systems. This decision is specific to Flash Builder and does not affect other Linux activities for other Adobe products. Linux developers will still be able to use the SDK from the line command to build Flex applications.

Source

UPDATE! Official Flex Builder 3 for Linux!!
Check it out here!

The stuff below is left here for posterity’s sake…but you probably want the link above, and forget everything below…

With a bit of tweaking, I’ve gotten Flex Builder 2.01 working under Linux. Everything seems to work, including debugging, except for the Design view.

Here is a brief outline:

1. Download and extract Eclipse. I used Eclipse SDK 3.2.2 NOTE: I could not get it to work when eclipse was installed in /usr. Unless you can figure it out, do not install eclipse via your OS, simply download the .tgz and extract it to your home directory.
  2. Download and extract the free Flex 2.01 SDK.
  3. Download and install the Flex Charting Components (same link as above) Run the installer by java -jar flex_charting_2_installer.jar and install it to the root of your Flex2 SDK directory.
  4. Download the Flash 9 Debugging player
    1. install the plugin into your browser by running plugin/debugger/install_flash_player_9_linux/flashplayer-installer.
    2. (as root) copy standalone/debugger/flashplayer to /usr/local/bin
    3. create a symlink for gflashplayer, (as root) ln -s /usr/local/bin/flashplayer /usr/local/bin/gflashplayer
  5. Download the FlexBuilder 2.01 Plugin for Linux (mirror)
    1. Extract this to the root eclipse install folder. It will create files in the configuration, plugins, and features directories which are already part of eclipse.
    2. Open eclipse/configuration/com.adobe.flexbuilder/flexbuilder2.xml and change the value of <sdkpath> to point to the root directory where you installed the Flex 2 SDK
  6. (OPTIONAL) Fix the annoying ‘Incorrect flash player installed’ popup every time you run your project:
    1. Download debugui.jar
    2. Overwrite the file eclipse/plugins/com.adobe.flexbuilder.debug.ui_2.0.155577/debugui.jar with the downloaded one
  7. (OPTIONAL) Use the windows flash player with WINE instead of native linux flash player.
    1. Make sure you have WINE installed correctly
    2. Download the windows standalone projector debugger (see link at top for player downloads)
    3. Download this flashplayer script and place in your path, as well as rename the linux player so it doesn’t interfere. You probably still need the symlink to gflashplayer as above.
  8. (OPTIONAL) If you already use eclipse, it’s possible it wont see the new Flex plugins. Simply run the following command to get eclipse to search for your newly installed stuff:
    1. “./eclipse -clean”

That should be it! The only problem I’ve had is switching to design view messes everything up. Just stay in source view and you’ll be fine. Also, whenever I try to debug, it says I don’t have flash 9 installed, but I just press continue, and debugging works like normal (catching traces, breakpoint on crash, etc).

Thanks to this chinese guy’s post for figuring it out. He has a few more posts on the issue ([1], [2]), but I didn’t seem to need any of the info in them.

Somewhat related, this post talks about other ways of using Flex 2 / AS3 under linux.

Filed under: Flash,flex — davr @ 11:14 pm

1. See this post by Darron Schall on his experiences with using this method for the past two months.

Comment by davr — April 23, 2007 @ 6:47 am

2. [...] http://blog.davr.org/2007/04/22/flex-builder-201-under-linux/ [...]

Pingback by ActionScript 3 Lover : Flex2/AS3在Linux下的开发环境 — April 23, 2007 @ 8:20 am

3. I was able to get it work just as long as I’m running eclipse as root. I placed the plugins in /usr/local/lib/eclipse. Any idea what files need to be writable to allow this to work with any user account?

Comment by Taylor — April 24, 2007 @ 8:10 am

4. I was only able to make it work as root…any idea of which files need to be world writable? (I placed the plugin in /usr/local/lib/eclipse)

Taylor

Comment by Taylor — April 24, 2007 @ 9:30 am

5. I have eclipse installed (well, no install needed, I just extracted the .tgz really) under my home directory, ~davidr/flash/eclipse, so none of the files are owned by root, so I didn’t run into that problem.

Comment by davr — April 24, 2007 @ 10:30 am

6. to allow any user account to use flexbuilder you have to extract the tgz NOT in /usr/local/lib/eclipse BUT in /usr/lib/eclipse
    (my configuration: ubuntu feisty – eclipse 3.2.2)

Comment by pigiuz — April 24, 2007 @ 2:59 pm

7. I can’t get flex to appear in eclipse at all, but it may be for another reason.

Taylor:
    To get your shared flex libs working without being root, correct the permissions:

In your eclipse dir:
    chown -R root:root *

Then in each of configuration, features, and plugins:
    sudo chmod -R ga=rx,u=rwx com.adobe*

Should help you.

Comment by Antony Jones — April 24, 2007 @ 3:07 pm

8. pigiuz:

I don’t think you’re right – because that is exactly the mistake I had made.

Extract the tgz to /usr/local/lib/eclipse and run the permissions stuff I wrote – works a treat as any user.

Thanks for all your help guys

Comment by Antony Jones — April 24, 2007 @ 3:12 pm

9. ok,
    thanx to Antony, now flex appears to be present also to non-root users….I was wrong :\

Now I encountered some “little” problems,
    - I can’t create any flex\actionscript project\class\file! :(
    If I choose to create one I get this error:
    “Plug-in com.adobe.flexbuilder.editors.actionscript was unable to load class com.adobe.flexbuilder.editors.actionscript.ui.wizards.NewActionScriptClassWizard.”
    (in this case I tried to create a new actionscript class)

- I can’t switch to flex perspective (window>open perspective>other>flex)
    When I try to switch I get this error:
    “Problems opening perspective
    ‘com.adobe.flexbuilder.editors.mxml.ui.perspectives.development’”

Anyone got similar errors?
    It seems like eclipse doesn’t find the needed classes…but I don’t know where get them :\

Comment by pigiuz — April 25, 2007 @ 1:20 am

10. Yep i’m getting the same issue now. I thought I had it!

It is apparently a problem with the LoadWorkspaceFile in the org.eclipse.internal.ui package – I don’t know what provides this or why this happens, but it’s a pain – the debugging perspective works great!

davr: What is your exact eclipse version and path to your files?

Comment by Antony Jones — April 25, 2007 @ 5:14 am

11. I tried with eclipse 3.2.2 installed via apt-get on ubuntu feisty.
    the path is /usr/local/lib/eclipse

now I’m trying to run win version on wine…but it’s getting very painful…:(

Comment by pigiuz — April 25, 2007 @ 5:46 am

12. Just do it the way I said…
    1. uninstall eclipse from your distro (apt-get remove, rpm –erase, etc whatever)
    2. download the eclipse-SDK-3.2.2-linux-gtk.tar.gz from the link in the post.
    3. extract it somewhere to your home directory. as i said above, mine is installed in /home/davidr/flash/eclipse

Comment by davr — April 25, 2007 @ 6:34 am

13. YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! It runs!:D
    thanx davr :D

Comment by pigiuz — April 25, 2007 @ 7:26 am

14. FWIW, I’ve got Eclipse/Flex2 working( w/o Design ) with the Ubuntu(Edgy) packaged Eclipse installation and running as a standard user. To do this, I installed everything as mentioned above, including installing FlexBuilder into /usr/local/lib/eclipse and chmod’ed as recommended. BUT, then I had to link the SDKs “framework” directory into the eclipse plugin directory to get it working.

tar -xzf FlexBuilder_2.01_for_Linux.tar.gz -C /usr/local/bin/eclipse
    cd /usr/local/lib/eclipse/
    cd configuration/; sudo chmod -R ga=rx,u=rwx com.adobe*
    cd ../plugins/; sudo chmod -R ga=rx,u=rwx com.adobe*
    cd ../features/; sudo chmod -R ga=rx,u=rwx com.adobe*
    mkdir ~/Projects/Flex2; mkdir ~/Projects/Flex2/SDK
    unzip flex_sdk_2.zip -d ~/Projects/Flex2/SDK
    sudo rm -rf \
    /usr/local/lib/eclipse/plugins/com.adobe.flexbuilder.project_2.0.155577/resources/frameworks
    ln -s ~/Projects/Flex2/SDK/frameworks \

I’m also running Sun Java v1.6.0-b105 so my SDK config file was pointed to it:
    file: [myHomeDIR]Projects/Flex2/SDK/bin/jvm.config
    set to: java.home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/i386/libjava.so

and setup my Flex SDK path to my installed location:
    file: /usr/local/lib/eclipse/configuration/com.adobe.flexbuilder/flexbuilder2.xml
    set to: [my homeDir]/Projects/Flex2/SDK

I’ve not figured out the Designer problem yet but atleast this gets a Distro installed Eclipse running with the Flex Builder without running as root.

Comment by Doug — April 26, 2007 @ 2:54 pm

15. After HOURS of trying to follow Doug’s instructions, it boils down to the one important fact:

“I’m also running Sun Java v1.6.0-b105 so my SDK config file was pointed to it:
    file: [myHomeDIR]Projects/Flex2/SDK/bin/jvm.config
    set to: java.home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/i386/libjava.so”

export a JAVA_HOME entry pointing to a real Sun JDK 1.6 installation, and your FlexBuilder Development perspective will magically work!

What an effort! Here is the copypasta:

export JAVA_HOME=/opt/jdk1.6.0/
    eclipse&

Comment by Antony Jones — April 26, 2007 @ 4:22 pm

16. well…if it works for you then great, but I think my way is simpler, just install the whole thing in your user directory :)

Comment by davr — April 26, 2007 @ 4:23 pm

17. Yes davr, it would be easier to just install everything in userland but for those who might be using Eclipse for things like C++, Java, or MSP430 development/coding, installing another full installation of Eclipse is wasteful and tougher to support.

Life is good when you have options. :-)

Comment by Doug — April 26, 2007 @ 5:53 pm

18. If you’ve got an existing install of eclipse, e.g. one which you’re already using to do various plugin things such as php or ruby development, and you’re tearing your hair out as to why the Flex stuff doesn’t appear even though you’ve done all the stuff above, try the following simple thing:

run eclipse by typing: “./eclipse -clean”

This will refresh eclipse’s view of the world and should include the new FlexBuilder plugin…

Daniel

Comment by Daniel Tenner — April 30, 2007 @ 3:27 am

19. [...] you have the Sun JDK installed all you need to do is run though through this other great tutorial. And that’s it! I didn’t have any trouble switching to the debug perspective – the only [...]

Pingback by flashMonkey » Blog Archive » Flex Builder 2 on Fedora — May 2, 2007 @ 5:04 am

20. Great resource – thanks for posting this.
    `eclipse -clean`, helped too

Anyone getting this error when running the flex application in flex builder? It seems related to step 4, but I’m pretty sure I got did that correctly.
    “”"
    /usr/bin/plugins/NPSWF32.dll

Flex Builder cannot locate the required version of the Flash Player. You may need to install Flash Player 9.0 or reinstall Flex Builder.

Installed Flash Player version: 0,0,0,0
    Required version: 9,0,0,0

Do you still want to launch the application?
    “”"

Still works fine, but its an annoying popup.

Comment by John — May 2, 2007 @ 10:08 pm

21. Yeah, I get that same popup (cannot locate flash player), however I just press continue, and it works fine. If anyone solves that, please post on here.

Comment by davr — May 3, 2007 @ 6:25 am

22. i am the author of flexbuilder 2.01 for linux,i want know Whether i needs to fix the bug: “Flex Builder cannot locate the required version of the Flash Player” while use debug? give me your reply

Comment by feiy — May 7, 2007 @ 4:52 am

23. Bah, I get lots of errors:

When I try to use wizard to start a new Flex project:

Plug-in com.adobe.flexbuilder.editors.common was unable to load class com.adobe.flexbuilder.editors.common.ui.project.wizards.FlexProjectWizard.

Wehn I try to open one of my actionscript or mxml files:

Unable to create this part due to an internal error. Reason for the failure: The editor class could not be instantiated. This usually indicates that the editor’s class name was mistyped in plugin.xml.

Comment by Guy who wishes he could read chinese — May 8, 2007 @ 1:28 am

24. feiy,
    yes, please fix the problem with not finding npswf32.dll

Comment by Doug — May 8, 2007 @ 1:00 pm

25. To Doug: If you check the latest post on my blog, I have already fixed it. Also I’ve updated the above post, follow item #6

Comment by davr — May 8, 2007 @ 4:33 pm

26. I get this exception in eclipse logs when launching eclipse. I have set the path in the builder2.xml to /usr/local/flex. The frameworks directory does exist there.

!SESSION Fri Jun 01 19:38:38 PDT 2007 ——————————————
    !ENTRY org.eclipse.core.launcher 4 0 2007-06-01 19:38:38.60
    !MESSAGE Exception launching the Eclipse Platform:
    !STACK
    java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not find framework
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.getBootPath(Main.java:639)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:274)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:977)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:952)

Comment by Rishi — June 1, 2007 @ 6:40 pm

27. Well, my FB on Linux (Ubuntu 7.04) work nice. But the player don’t work with my Firefox 64 bit. I switched to Swiftfox (32 bit), and when I run (or debug) the app the browser only show a blank -no code- page (seem to be the FB don’t pass the html, only start up the browser). Someone have suggestions?
    Thanks.

Comment by Max — June 1, 2007 @ 6:58 pm

28. Awesome, thanks for the guide! I’ve been trying to get Flex Builder up and running in Linux for awhile with little success, up until now that is. I am glad to know I can get rid of my Windows partition again.

Thanks!
    …aaron

Comment by Aaron — June 3, 2007 @ 12:24 am

29. Hey max, just read your comment. You have to install the flash player manually in 64 bit ( I have the same). Just copy the libflashplayer.so file to your plugin directory for firefox. Mine is ‘/usr/lib/firefox/plugins’

regards,
    …aaron

Comment by Aaron — June 3, 2007 @ 12:26 am

30. [...] ลองค้นหาใน Google ก่อนก็เจอวิธีใช้แบบฟรีๆ เข้า โดยคุณสมบัติที่มีก็คงเป็น Auto [...]

Pingback by แนทโวย - » Flex2 builder สำหรับ Linux? — June 6, 2007 @ 6:09 am

31. What’s problem:
    assoly@assoly-desktop:~$ java -jar FCC2/flex_charting_2_installer.jar
    ‘SWING’ UI not supported by VM. Reverting to AWT.

How to resolve this task?
    My system: Ubuntu 7.04

Comment by assoly — June 9, 2007 @ 10:21 pm

32. If you run java – start java 5, but run full path to java-6, and all OK!
    My bash:
    assoly@assoly-desktop:~$ /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.00/bin/java -jar FCC2/flex_charting_2_installer.jar

Comment by assoly — June 10, 2007 @ 12:30 am

33. I’m getting the same errors as “Guy who wishes he could read chinese” above. I didn’t see any replies to that but I was wondering if anybody came across the solution.

Thanks.

Comment by Nick Spacek — June 15, 2007 @ 9:17 am

34. I think I figured it out (at least in my case). Check the permissions on the stuff you extracted. Mine was/is all messed up. Only the owner permissions are set, the others are blank. It looks like a pretty big mess to me, I’m not a linux pro by any means so I have no idea how to go about fixing all the permission problems.

Comment by Nick Spacek — June 15, 2007 @ 9:34 am

35. This might fix it:

(DISCLAIMER: Like I said above, I’m no linux pro, so if this ruins something on your system I take no responbility! That said, it seems fairly harmless to me :) )

Go to /usr/local/lib/eclipse or whereever you have the plugins features and configuration folders
    1) chmod -R +r plugins
    2) cd plugins
    3) find . -type d -exec chmod +x {} \;

(I don’t even understand that fully. I’m not sure why there’s “\;” on the end. And I assume {} is the result of the find. And hopefully that doesn’t ruin anything else!)

That might fix it, I was setting permissions all over at first, but these two commands might get everything set in one shot. Maybe not though.

Comment by Nick Spacek — June 15, 2007 @ 10:08 am

36. I also ended up creating a symlink like:

ln -s SDKPATH/frameworks ECLIPSEPLUGINSDIR/com.adobe.flexbuilder.project_2.0.155577/resources/frameworks

(After renaming the frameworks folder that was already there)

Not sure what that’s about, but I finally have a project created with no errors, and managed to open it without any sort of warnings. Now to see if everything works and if I can start learning this. :)

Comment by Nick Spacek — June 15, 2007 @ 10:25 am

37. I get the following error when trying to run application or debug:
    “Failed to get the root status handler”

The application is compiled normaly, but the browser is not opened..

Comment by Paulo — June 20, 2007 @ 12:57 am

38. The plugin used to work well, but sudenly this morning it doesn’t anymore… as and mxml files are displayed as text files, the menu “flex project nature is disappeared” but if I look into the help menu I still can see “flex start page” and “about flex builder 2″ options…. anyone has any suggestion? thank you

Comment by sesar — June 20, 2007 @ 6:47 am

39. Just to reiterate (this was my headache), make sure that you’re not running Eclipse with gcj (the default java runtime on Ubuntu Feisty), but with sun java as described above. Once I switched to that, everyting is running perfectly.

Comment by toastie — June 25, 2007 @ 8:50 pm

40. Paulo, I was also getting the “Failed to get the root status handler”. I restored the original debugui.jar and it works fine now. I have live with the annoying some file missing popup but the browser launches from eclipse.

Comment by unerklarlich — July 13, 2007 @ 9:49 pm

41. Great post, will be placing on my own site.

May I suggest you add in to the tutorial to run eclipse with -clear as Daniel Tenner said.

Comment by Matthew Lloyd — July 25, 2007 @ 3:17 pm

42. [...] Go visit the full article here: http://blog.davr.org/2007/04/22/flex-builder-201-under-linux/ [...]

Pingback by Matthew Lloyd :: The online Portfolio of Matthew Lloyd » Blog Archive » Flex 2 Builder under Linux — July 25, 2007 @ 3:20 pm

43. Problemd solved!

A started eclipse as root.
    Then a started a now flex projekt entered the serial there and swich it works.
    No it work for the regular user also.

I have it installd on mu ubuntu 7.04 with eclipse form apt-get.
    Followd your steps and den chmod the flex dir as above.

Then a ran eclipse -clean

and there it is.

Great how to // matte

Comment by Matte — July 26, 2007 @ 7:57 am

44. I get the same error as Paulo: “Failed to get the root status handler.” I tried replacing the debugui.jar as mentioned in Step 6 but it didn’t change anything. It compiles well but does not open the browser. Is there any workaround?

Thanks for help,
    steff

Comment by steff — July 30, 2007 @ 3:24 am

45. argh… i still get this error, when i try to create a Flex Project:

i am not sure what to do. i followed the configuration xml editing, frameworks directory linking and chmod suggestions. i see flex in eclise but every operation concerning flex breaks… even the about flex builder one.

i run ubuntu 64bit with java6. for max and others, you can use ns plugin wrapper to get 32bit plugin running in 64bit firefox:

and you if it is of any interest, there is a flashtracer for linux:

Comment by kzm — July 31, 2007 @ 6:03 am

46. ok. i am sorry, it has all to be in the /usr/lib/eclipse. not /usr/bin/eclipse nor ~.eclipse/

i can confirm that the designer view is not working.

Comment by kzm — July 31, 2007 @ 6:30 am

47. Thank you very much!!, I am very happy of not to go back to windows to program in Actionscript.

Comment by Mindscout — August 1, 2007 @ 8:17 am

48. I noticed later what the Actionscript Editor of the Flexbuilder Plugin doesn’t highlight the AS3 Syntax, this do not higlight the reserved words in particullar. Anybody has some knowledge about this issue, or know about some log of eclipse which I could see to figure out what happen?. Thanks

Comment by Mindscout — August 3, 2007 @ 4:53 am

49. I installed fb 2.01 on europa and its working great except for the design view of course…
    ..and my shift+ctrl+r “open resource” shortcut seized functioning, even after rebinding it to some other unused key combination..

the quickest way i can access the open resource view is by using the new ctrl+3 feature…which still sorta sucks..

anyone else had this similiar issue?

Comment by michael — August 3, 2007 @ 5:11 am

50. May I suggest that everyone reading this submit a feature request to Adobe for official Linux support? I’d love to see this and all Adobe products run on Linux. http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Comment by judah — August 9, 2007 @ 12:45 am

51. I have Flex Builder running happily on Ubuntu Feisty, but I have trouble entering a serial number? Is there something special that must be done to add a serial number for FB on Linux?

Comment by david — August 9, 2007 @ 11:55 am

52. [...] full time linux and that his big concern is that he cant do Flex development. And in the comments daver refered to his post outlining the steps to get flex builder running on [...]

Pingback by The simFluence : Developing Flex Applications on Linux — August 9, 2007 @ 11:58 am

53. You need a valid serial number, that is, you must have legally purchased a copy of Flex Builder 2 from Adobe.

Comment by davr — August 9, 2007 @ 1:09 pm

54. I replaced debugui.jar with the original one in the plugin, but I can’t get debug to work. Any ideas?

Comment by wwwpol — August 9, 2007 @ 3:05 pm

55. wwwpol: Do you have a debugging flash player installed?

Comment by davr — August 9, 2007 @ 3:41 pm

56. I did install the debug player. I will try again.

Comment by wwwpol — August 10, 2007 @ 7:57 am

57. That was the problem. I thought I had installed it previously. Thanks

Comment by wwwpol — August 10, 2007 @ 8:07 am

58. davr> Thanks for the response. I do have a valid Windows number for FB on Windows. In fact, my IT dept has given me 2 different ones to try, both of which are rejected by the “Manage Flex Serial Numbers” dialog box.

Comment by david — August 10, 2007 @ 11:20 am

59. This is strange, but now I’ve entered the serial number again in the dialog mentioned above from the Help menu and exited Eclipse. When I start Eclipse again, I am challenged for a serial #, and entering the one I just entered gets an “invalid serial #” message. So, I click Try and suddenly I’m using the Full version, not the Trial.

Anyway, thanks for your earlier reply.

Comment by david — August 10, 2007 @ 11:28 am

60. The Trial version is exactly the same as the Full version, the only difference is after 30 days it stops working. I guess we’ll find out in a month if it accepted it or not :)

Comment by davr — August 10, 2007 @ 12:09 pm

61. Does anyone have problem opening the Flex Properties view ?

Keep getting this “com/adobe/flexbuilder/utils/osnative/NativeControl” problem

Anyone face this problem before?

regards,
    clayton

Comment by Clayton Narcis — August 11, 2007 @ 9:45 pm

62. Problem solved, didnt know what i did, but the Flex properties view works for now.

Has anyone figure out whats wrong with the design view?

regards,
    clayton

Comment by Clayton Narcis — August 13, 2007 @ 6:31 am

63. I think the design view has some Windows-only native code in it, which is why it will likely never work unless by some chance Adobe decides to officially port it to Linux.

Comment by davr — August 13, 2007 @ 9:34 am

64. Bugger,
    figured as much..

But at the moment, this is good enough for me to start learning actionscript.

Btw,
    did anyone had problem with their Open Resource dialog shortcut key (Shift + Ctrl + R)?

mine completely burn when i installed flex builder plugin.

it just wont work anymore, had to nagivate to the menu and click on the open resource manually

regards,
    clayton

Comment by Clayton Narcis — August 13, 2007 @ 11:13 pm

65. Well, things didn’t work out as well as I had hoped. My 30-day trial has run out and FlexBuilder still won’t accept either of 2 perfectly legal FlexBuilder for Windows licenses. Do you have any idea why FB might not accept a license key? I’ve followed your steps a few different times and still it’s not working out.

regards,

david

Comment by david — August 27, 2007 @ 10:34 am

66. I was able to successfully install the beta 3 version from http://labs.eshangrao.com/

I tried several combinations and did not find that there was any problem using eclipse 3.3 or higher versions of java.

One thing one must do is download the mac or windows install, install it, and take out the Moxie sdk (which I did in a windows virtual machine) and put it somewhere on the linux machine so that flex can find it. With a default windows install it is in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 3\sdks\moxie then in eclipse go to Window->Preferences->Flex->Installed Flex SDKs to tell it where you put the sdk.

Also, I found that running the flashplayer under wine did not work very well. It did run but sometimes objects would not be visable in debug mode.

I also found that the flash debug plugin didn’t work at all in debug mode. Caused my system to lock up. What I did to get it to work was change the debug profile in eclipse to run the .swf directly instead of the .html. This caused the standalone flashplayer to run which worked perfectly.

Design mode of course still does not work.

Thanks to all for their helpful comments and especially to whomever ported it!

Comment by Paul Dale — August 29, 2007 @ 4:06 am

67. [...] Some say it is possible to run Flex Builder on Linux, here [...]

Pingback by Flash/ActionScript3 “Programming” under Ubuntu at William Brown Street — August 31, 2007 @ 1:46 am

68. Just a note ….

I’m running the latest eclipse 3.3 ( Eclipse IDE for java developers )

I installed a 2nd instance ( 3.2 ) just for flex builder, and it worked great. But out of curiosity, I followed the guide above, and extracted to my 3.3 directory, and it’s working just fine for 3.3.

Getting rid of 3.2, and I’m back to a single eclipse install with the flex builder plugin.

I haven’t messed around with the debug view yet, but the as and mxml editors are working perfectly.

Murf

Comment by Dean Murphy — September 1, 2007 @ 5:10 am

69. [...] ลองค้นหาใน Google ก่อนก็เจอวิธีใช้แบบฟรีๆ เข้า โดยคุณสมบัติที่มีก็คงเป็น Auto [...]

Pingback by แนท » Flex2 builder สำหรับ Linux? — September 10, 2007 @ 7:06 am

70. There is a new beta Flash player for Linux that’s available for downloading (http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer9/), but once installed, FlexBuilder can no longer connect to the debugger. Is there an easy workaround for this, or does it require waiting for Adobe to release a standalone player to match the plugin?

Comment by david — September 10, 2007 @ 1:11 pm

71. david: you need the debugging version of the player/plugin. I’m not sure that adobe releases beta versions of their debugging player.

Comment by davr — September 10, 2007 @ 7:11 pm

72. Yeah, that’s what I was afraid of. Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I have to use the beta for developing my current feature because the released flash player for linux has a bug that prevents the DataEvent.UPLOAD_COMPLETE_DATA from firing…and this is fixed in the beta.

regards,

david

Comment by david — September 11, 2007 @ 4:41 am

73. Okay, to answer my own question, you can get the very latest standalone player which allows debugging from FlexBuilder by downloading the Flex 3 SDK (http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flex/sdk/flex3sdk.html) and looking in the runtime directory.

Comment by david — September 11, 2007 @ 11:15 am

74. [...] E文好的话,参考这篇文章 [...]

Pingback by Linux+Eclipse+FlexBuilder — September 13, 2007 @ 1:38 pm

75. Flex en actionscript 3 onder linux…

In mijn zoektocht om mijn nieuwe telefoon te synchroniseren met m’n desktop kwam ik vreemd genoeg een aantal artikeltjes tegen waarin mensen beweren dat flex en actionscript 3 onder linux aan de praat te krijgen zijn:

– Een blog waarin de compiler…

Trackback by Func. News — September 23, 2007 @ 12:32 am

76. I had the same problem as david above, that Flex Builder 2 on Linux was rejecting my valid serial numbers. I found that running Eclipse as root made it work. When I installed Eclipse and FB2, I installed them as root so they would be available to all users of the machine, so it makes sense. (It’s just that it could use a more informative error message.)

Comment by Dave — September 25, 2007 @ 2:58 pm

77. [...] Yo tenía un “Flex-Linux-Builder” medio que funcionando por ahi desde hacía un tiempo gracias a un post de Robots w/Laser: Flex Builder 2.01 under Linux. [...]

Pingback by Flex Builder Alpha para Linux « Jorge Díaz’s Weblog — October 3, 2007 @ 6:21 am

78. Hey all, I wrote a script based on this tutorial. And it does everything in once,
    I dont know if the script totally foul proof. (Its my first bash script) But for
    me it works everything will be installed on the right position. And you can change
    the vars in the script. It also changes the read&write permissions and it copies
    the frameworks folder from the SDK to the installed location of eclipse. Download
    the 4 packages FCC2_MLP_WWE, flash_player_9_linux_dev,flex2_sdk_hf1 and
    FlexBuilder_2.01_for_Linux to the same folde and put my script in the same location.
    Its is almost silence install the only thing that i wasnt to automise was the part
    of installing the flash player plugin in the browser. I put that part on the end
    so everything is done then user feedback requested and then eclipse starts.

Here is the link:

Comment by Elwin — November 29, 2007 @ 6:56 am

79. Hey all, I wrote a script based on this tutorial. And it does everything in once,
    the 4 packages FCC2_MLP_WWE, flash_player_9_linux_dev,flex2_sdk_hf1 and
    so everything is done then user feedback requested and then eclipse starts.

Comment by Elwin — November 29, 2007 @ 6:57 am

80. Oeps sorry for the spam, but I didnt saw the message so I supposed something was wrong in it! So you can remove the last messages the first was fine.

Comment by Elwin — November 29, 2007 @ 6:59 am

81. hey..

after months i found this side again. i didnt try the install script yet.

i wonna sum up, what the flex plugin does (+) and doesnt (-) on my 64bit ubuntu machine:
    + color coding
    - code hinting (ala this class supports this function that starts with your already types letters)
    - code refactoring (big word but i mean that it rewrites class names everywhere when you change them ect)
    - compiling (i still use ants..)
    - debugging (i use ant to launch the commandline debugger)
    + preview (the swf viewer in eclipse)
    - design view
    - violating the sandbox for dev. purpose (cs3/flex builder/plugin on win/mac allow you to access www, i use localhost as proxy)

anybody disagree or something to add?

Comment by kzm — January 15, 2008 @ 5:36 am

82. I am seeing the same problem Mindscout reported above, which is that AS3 code is not syntax-highlighted within MXML files. The weird thing is that in almost all of my mxml files it *does* highlight the AS3 code… it is just one or two files where it refuses to do it. Even weirder is that renaming the file to something else (but still .mxml) fixes the problem! So if MyView.mxml is not highlighting the AS3, I rename it to MyViewj.mxml and it highlights fine. Then I rename it back to MyView.mxml and the problem comes back!

I’m really fond of the filenames I chose the *first* time, so I’d rather find a real fix for this. :) Anyone have any hints?
    Dave

Comment by Dave — February 7, 2008 @ 3:15 pm

83. [...] This guy did a very good “How to” for setting up Flex Builder 2.01 under Linux [...]

Pingback by “How to” for setting up Flex Builder 2.01 under Linux | Decodedbits [dot] com — March 23, 2008 @ 10:00 am

84. [...] This guy did a very good “How to” for setting up Flex Builder 2.01 under Linux [...]

Pingback by andreas04: close to attraction — June 30, 2008 @ 8:42 pm

85. [...] This guy did a very good “How to” for setting up Flex Builder 2.01 under Linux [...]

Pingback by Setting up Flex Builder 2.01 under Linux – jpablobr.com — January 24, 2010 @ 11:07 pm

86. It is a nice valuable piece of facts. I’m happy for you to shared this convenient details with us. Make sure you stop us informed this way. Appreciation for expressing.

Comment by source — January 25, 2014 @ 4:25 am

87. dominik.kr…

Robots w/Lasers » Flex Builder 2.01 under Linux…

Trackback by dominik.kr — August 23, 2014 @ 1:21 pm

88. By keeping it much alike to earlier ones, Microsoft has totally renovated
    key factors. If this is the case then it will take several minutes more
    to find and then several minutes more to delete the files it found.
    If you are not good at computer, it’s highly suggested to use Windows Password
    Breaker.

Comment by Vernita — September 23, 2014 @ 7:30 pm

89. Hi there, everything is going sound here and ofcourse every one is sharing data, that’s truly good, keep up writing.

Comment by Micki — October 30, 2014 @ 6:50 am

90. Most of these new and added features are not found on the previous editions of MS Office.

You can trust on an iphone app development company if it is a
    reliable company. Casement custom windows generally open merely 15 – 30
    degrees, enough to let in daylight, but little else.

Comment by Harley — March 25, 2015 @ 12:15 pm

91. He is also a confirmed bully. As such, you would be hacking risk-free unless you were careless.
    People are always looking for a new Facebook Poker Chips Hack.

Comment by Gilberto — January 8, 2016 @ 9:23 pm