November 27, 2006

DS Downloadable Demos Collection

I’ve decided to put my collection of official DS Download demos online. It is the most complete collection online that I am aware of, please let me know if I am missing any. The only other large collection I know of is at sgstair’s wiki, and it is missing a bunch of the newer ones. I’ve made a php script which will automatically pull out the icons and file info directly from the .nds file. Now if only I knew how to design webpages, I’d make it look nice, but it’s functional enough for now.

Check it out here: Downloadable DS Demos

Legal disclaimer: I am putting these online in good faith that Nintendo and the respective copyright holders wish them to be distributed, as they are only demos, and are not (and have never been) sold anywhere.

UPDATE: Added a few new demos: 2 from English Training, 2 from Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime, and 1 from Lode Runner. The ‘Tank Battle’ demo from Rocket Slime is a fun one.

UPDATE 2: A new batch of DS Demos uploaded

Filed under: Nintendo DS — davr @ 12:10 pm

1. That’s awesome. I’ve been wanting a good demo collection for a while now. Thanks so much. :D

Comment by dg10050 — November 27, 2006 @ 5:12 pm

2. awesome!
    but you dont have bleach, and sonic rush demo from E3 2005

good luck ^^

Comment by lorenzolamas — November 29, 2006 @ 3:37 pm

3. FINALLY someone is publishing more demo’s.
    I’ve been waiting for new ones to be published on SgStair’s page but it never updated anymore.
    Thanks!

(Also, what’s the PHP script which reads the icon data? I’m interested in which method you used.)

Comment by Agilo — November 30, 2006 @ 9:36 am

4. For the PHP script, I wrote it myself. It mainly uses ndstool to extract the data, then I parse the icon manually and convert it to png using GD.

Here’s the main part of the code, it will parse out for a single nds file:
    readnds.phps

Comment by davr — November 30, 2006 @ 10:09 am

5. Thanks for showing it to me (and the others who read :P ).

I never used GD to that extent (never really did anything with GD besides basic text output in an image and experimental stuff like a chatroom inside an image).

Anyway, I like it (not just the GD parts). :)

Comment by Agilo — November 30, 2006 @ 10:34 am

6. thanks 4 the great stuff. although the Metroid and TombRaider don’t work on my MMD.

Comment by Mentos+Coke — December 24, 2006 @ 10:59 am

7. Wow, I had no idea there were demos for this thing. I had the idea yesterday that someone should probably have ported a graphing calculator to the DS by now. I found your site today, and I’m both pleased and amazed.

I was into the PC demoscene in the 90s, but largely ignored it for the last five or six years. The fact that people still make demos for modern hardware is pretty cool. You should consider presenting at Notacon, which is a tech-and-creativity conference held every spring in Ohio. This year, “Blockparty 2007″ is happening concurrent with Notacon. An honest-to-goodness north-american demoparty!

Calculator software is a little niche of computer culture that most non-students are ignorant of, I’d guess. Portable gaming systems are their own world, and now that they’re fast enough to run emulators for various other systems, things get truly weird. I’d be fascinated to learn more about what happens at the intersection of all these things, from someone knowledgeable and involved. Consider submitting a proposal?

Comment by Myself — December 28, 2006 @ 3:02 pm

8. Hey I won a New SuperMario Bros Demo at a Anime and vid games convention…
    I would dump it but my M3 mini-sd cant use the dumper.nds file for some reason.
    The demo has the entire 1st world… Anyone else played it…
    @Davr – email me if u want it.

Comment by Shazmo — January 4, 2007 @ 3:54 am

9. Hello. Nice work.. I work at a game store, and dumped the actual Demo Download station rom. If you’re interested let me know. It’s a 32mb file, and works with m3 under safe mode when patching to SD card.. Any how, great work, and take it easy.

Comment by d0ck — January 10, 2007 @ 11:55 pm

10. For some reason, the Lode Runner and Rocket Slime Tank Battle don’t work for me (I use wmb), but the rest is great!

Comment by Johan — January 19, 2007 @ 1:58 pm

11. how you downlaod games from online to the DS

Comment by uni — May 1, 2007 @ 9:13 am

12. [...] Demos Page Previous Demo Collection Filed under: Uncategorized — davr @ 10:17 [...]

Pingback by Robots w/Lasers » New DS Demos — November 28, 2007 @ 10:17 am

13. hey d0ck, where can I get this Demo Download station rom?

Comment by Arkarian — December 8, 2007 @ 10:24 pm

14. I have not checked in here for a while because I thought it was getting boring, but the last few posts are really good quality so I guess I’ll add you back to my everyday bloglist. You deserve it my friend. :)

Comment by Perla Humbard — June 20, 2012 @ 4:32 am

15. you are in point of fact a excellent webmaster.

The web site loading pace is incredible. It seems that
    you’re doing any distinctive trick. Moreover, The
    contents are masterpiece. you have performed a great job in this
    matter!

Comment by Vid Infusion Review — August 5, 2014 @ 9:21 pm

16. I am genuinely grateful to the holder of this web
    site who has shared this wonderful article at at this
    place.