October 17, 2006

Better DS85 Timing, Greyscale

I’m working on improving the timing code to DS85. Right now, in ‘Real Speed’ mode, it kinda stutters. In the next release, it will be nice and smooth, and I’m trying to make it indistinguishable from a real TI-85. Along with better timing code, I’ve implemented some code which should allow greyscale apps to run. Unfortunately, greyscale is difficult to emulate, due to the nasty tricks they use to make greyscale on the 85 :D . Right now, it works some of the time, but other times it flickers badly.

Some screenshots:

Here’s a couple screenshots of it running M.C.Mik (which actually works pretty well, though I’m not sure how to beat it. I should probably read the instructions or something)

A screenshot of Daedalus (a 3d ray-casting engine)

Also, I added a rotation mode (so you can play games like Tetris Attack, Dr. Mario, Puyo Pop). Here is a comparison of the four display modes available, using good old Dr. Mario.

Normal mode

Stretched

Rotated

Rotated and Stretched
Filed under: DS85,Nintendo DS — davr @ 3:16 pm

1. For anyone still working on key layout, here’s a better screenshot of what I have currently.

Comment by davr — October 17, 2006 @ 5:22 pm

2. Davr, this is the coolest thing evar! I have a suggestion on the interface, why not rotate it like brain training? These things only have 110 pixels width right?

I have many MC68000 documents if you wanna do ti-whatever. I personally liked TI-83 the most, my ti-89 isn’t so great interface wise.

Comment by ThatGuy — October 18, 2006 @ 3:12 pm

3. Damn this emulator kicks ass. It puts the other TI emulator to shame. You should change the method for appending the 85 ROM to the bin:
    copy /B ds85_02.ds.gba+ti85.rom ds85_02_rom.ds.gba

I would love to see some of these features added: a hack for more memory, button mapping (though what is hard coded is a real good start), Sending files to/from the FAT (looks like you are planning this), sound emulation (not a big deal since hardly any games/programs use it), a debugger, skins for the calculator ‘hardware’, colorizing the screen (maybe even with grayscale?).

Keep up the good work!

One last thing… Are there any plans to port other calculator emulators to the DS? I would love to see the 89/92 on the DS!

Comment by TJ — October 19, 2006 @ 1:13 pm

4. More Memory: I’m working on this right now, essentially you will have unlimited memory! (one click, it will load a game from CF/SD, run it, then save it back to CF/SD when you are done). So far it works with about 80% of the games I have tried it with. I just need to clean up the interface a bit.

Changing Button Mapping: This would be nice, though it’s not high on my list (I just hardcode it the way I want it, so I’d never use the dynamic mapping :P )

Sending files to/from FAT: This is kinda working, but I may not need it so much with the ‘more memory’ hack above

Sound: Almost no apps use this on 85, it’s very low priority

Other Calculators:After the 85 is good and pretty much done, I will spend some time overhualing it so adding code for more calculators is not so hard. After that, I will probably add support in this order: 86,82,83,83+. 89 will take more work, as it uses a different CPU. I may have a separate app for the 89/92 than the other calcs, as not a lot of the code will be used in common.

Comment by davr — October 19, 2006 @ 4:24 pm

5. Well the main thing for the send file to/from FAT is that you would be able to install programs via DS85 w/o having to rely on a VTI dump that contains the programs already loaded — just drag a bunch of ASM strings onto your media and you can leave your PC. :) Also it would work the other way for if you wanted to send a program you wrote on the emulator to a real 85 or whatnot.

Comment by TJ — October 19, 2006 @ 9:12 pm

6. It will be indistinguable from a real TI-85? Yeah, this app is really a kick-ass one!
    It is nice to hear on WHAT ARE YOU working on and, first of all, that YOU ARE working on it!
    I read some comments about touchscreen not working perfectly, I cannot confirm, but I remember something similiar with initial versions of ScummVM; an upgrade of touchscreen-code-plugin did the trick in solving the issue.

Comment by Joe — October 22, 2006 @ 3:22 am

7. Hate to post a troubleshooting deal here, but nobody seems to understand exactly whats going on, but how exactly do you get this to work on supercard SD? Supercard freezes when loading the ds.gba file. The .nds has a (known) grpahical issue. So i rename ds.gba to .nds and it works fine, or i patch the .nds with supercard magic homebrew patcher, works, and even attempted to use the append method, but all 3 methods i have tried to get this to boot, either doesnt read the sna file (memory set to defaults), or does read it but… when i click custom, i see usgard, i press f1, and nothing happens…. not sure what is going on here, cause i have a v10 ti85 rom.

Not quite sure what its deal is frankly. I LOVE the ti85 emulator, and i LOVE the fact that i can use it propperly, but dont understand why i cannot use usgard. seems like kind of a pain in the butt.

Help me Obi won davr, your my only hope.

Comment by WunSick — October 24, 2006 @ 7:00 am

8. Are you sure it is v10? That’s exactly what happened to me when I tried a different version of the ROM. If everything else is working normally then you probably have a mislabeled ROM.

Comment by TJ — October 24, 2006 @ 6:06 pm

9. Hey, i would like some help on how to compile it for the ez flash iv… i did the rom copy in the command prompt but it keeps saying “CANNOT ALLOCATE ROM”

Comment by rd — December 24, 2006 @ 2:59 pm

10. It would be great having this on my DS. I still have my old ti-85, for some reason I never got around to upgrading to the 86 or 92. But it’s a bit of a pain to carry around with all my other gadgets. Plus the 32K memory way always a pain.

Hopefully we’ll see a DLDI compatible update sometime along with whatever features and fixes were left to be added.

Comment by Dib — May 20, 2007 @ 5:51 pm

11. Daedalous looks pretty amazing. Oh man I love Dr. Mario though, played that for hours as a kid!

Comment by Will Johnson — December 27, 2007 @ 1:24 am