April 26, 2006

Saving to SRAM, Loading for All

Draw version R10 is released! The new features are:

• Saving to SRAM, flash-cart users can now save!
  • Loading saved .png from CF/SD adaptors
  • Loading saved image from SRAM (again, for flash cart users)

Now, I don’t have a working flash cart, so I would be grateful if you could test out the loading and saving to SRAM, and post the results into the comments here. The main limitation is that I can’t save larger than 64KB images to SRAM. This will be solved in the future (most likely by lowering the image quality, there are several optimizations I can make.)

Download R10 .zip
Download R10 .zip for Supercard CF users

Whee, I can draw with color
Filed under: Draw,Nintendo DS — davr @ 10:42 pm

1. Great job, now i can load old creations again!
    i love this app, but theres just a few things i still would like to see:
    * Basic paint tools (line drawing, making squares, making rounds, zooming in/out), because this will make this application a really complete drawing app.
    * An option so you can say where you want to save your files to instead of my root.
    * An option to DELETE creations i have made before, because its quite anoying when i save something stupid, im not able to delete it, because in 3 days i go on holiday, without any computers, and i don’t have the biggest flashcard so this would get my priority; deleting my creations.

Comment by Laurens — April 27, 2006 @ 7:47 am

2. Excellent! Now instead of 5-minute drawings – 10 minute drawings! Here’s one, 50% downsized:

Comment by TheYak — April 27, 2006 @ 8:53 am

3. SUPER !!!
    tnk u very much for your work
    great now we can load old png !!!
    there is a bug when u try to fill a color isn’t white , it don’t work
    sorry for my english i don’t knot it very well… :D :D :D

Comment by Mcign — April 27, 2006 @ 9:22 am

4. Laurens: I keep DSOrganize or DSLinux on my CF all the time so I can manage the files on-the-go :)
    It’s useful, give it a shot.

Comment by MaHe — April 27, 2006 @ 12:43 pm

5. Very nice work mate. Officially my favourite homebrew project on the DS!

Give me a shout if you would like a hand with menu/UI/splash graphics.

Rat

Comment by ratticon — April 27, 2006 @ 12:50 pm

6. Another pic.. GIR kicks ass – period.

Comment by TheYak — April 29, 2006 @ 2:24 am

7. I agree…
    GIR > *

I can’t believe you drew that with my app…it looks awesome

Comment by davr — May 3, 2006 @ 11:09 am

8. Speaking of which, an button (realizing the PITA this would be) would be a god-send. Save often, hopefully reload less often. :)

Comment by TheYak — May 3, 2006 @ 3:26 pm

9. Great job with your drawing, its the best I’ve seen for nds.
    I’d like to ask for an example code for reading and writing to SD cards.
    I’m having a hard time with that. Thanks.

Comment by Andreusjh — May 4, 2006 @ 12:57 pm

10. If you want Supercard SD support, you need to get the special version of the FAT lib from the Rain source code
    Just replace your fat lib with the one from his source code. There’s two issues:
    1. You can’t have Supercard SD and Supercard CF enabled at the same time! Make sure to enable only one of them in disc_io.h
    2. The Supercard SD driver is written in ASM, and some people have problems compiling it, also it is much less tested, so may contain bugs. YMMV

See this code example

Comment by davr — May 4, 2006 @ 2:05 pm

11. Thanks for some direction! I see that the M3 SD driver is also
    in ASM, so now thats my only problem.

Comment by Andreusjh — May 9, 2006 @ 8:55 am

12. No more updates ?
    i love your prg please don’t abbandon it !!!

Comment by Mcign — May 18, 2006 @ 10:25 am

13. It’s been quite busy around here lately, and i’m leaving on a 3 week trip tomorrow. so don’t expect any updates for at least a month, sorry :(

But don’t worry…more updates are planned! Plus a super-secret feature that will be totally awesome.

PS: Posting pictures you drew with my app is a good way to encourage me to keep working on it :)

Comment by davr — May 18, 2006 @ 10:44 am

14. Tempting to clean it up after getting it on a PC, but just resized. I was drawing my GF’s tattoo since I had a reference handy. I’m hoping she’ll get it re-done :P Anyway, gave up due to DS’s touchscreen glitch that slaps unavoidable lines across your pictures on occasion.
    [tat_temp.png image lost]

Here’s the reference (feel free to remove the URL if you like):[pet_tat_ref.jpg image lost]

Comment by TheYak — May 19, 2006 @ 4:06 pm

15. And another… hope it’s not so crappy that I’ve got to explain what it is.

Comment by TheYak — May 20, 2006 @ 12:41 am

16. Put in a zoom tool and I will never stop using this app

Comment by alena — May 27, 2006 @ 9:15 am

17. An undo tool would be nice too, though a zoom more essential.

Comment by alena — May 28, 2006 @ 9:27 am

18. Comment by alena — May 28, 2006 @ 9:30 am

19. i made one too :D

Comment by Mad_Gouki — May 31, 2006 @ 4:38 pm

20. err, didnt work as an image lol
    here

Comment by Mad_Gouki — May 31, 2006 @ 4:39 pm

21. Ok, things that DEFINITELY need adding:

UNDO (For the love of God, even MSPAINT has one ;0) )
    CANCEL command – I hit A! DOH! I don’t want to load a file, I just wanted to quickly save (Please refer to
    UNDO), so that I can keep from having to redo something.

Those are the most important to me. Yes, layers, hue/saturation, all that would be incredible (but due to RAM restrictions, probably not possible), but simple little additions like UNDO and Cancel would be preferable. Oh yeah, one more thing… not sure if it’s just my DS (I have one dead pixel, iritates the piss outta me), but the calibration gets screwy at times… sharp zigzags of erasing or drawing in directions I don’t even have the stylus at, which leave a little triangle back to where the stylus actually is :) . BTW, M3 CF card… if maybe that’s my prob… ok, vented :) (Just aggravated at having to redo my work continously…)

Now, I WANT TO GIVE MAD PROPS! THIS APP IS AWESOME!!! I CAN DRAW, D/L to my computer, and EDIT THE HELL outta it in Photoshop! Screw scanning papers into the computer, and get that washed out look. This is so much better! Still some kinks, but it’s coming along great! I also like the fact that you’re using buttons to alter tools, etc. Photoshop is a pain in the arse w/ all the tools clogging up the desktop.

Oh, that reminds me. Another thing you might wanna consider is adding icons for tools/commands, and having them in the upper screen, and just hit a button to switch screens, like Nitrotracker/ATimeofWar, etc. Just a thought.

Comment by Unphazed — June 9, 2006 @ 6:26 pm

22. Playing with blobs & smudging…

Even if there’s never an undo, I whole-heartedly agree with cancelling out of the file selection screen. Not being able to is frustrating.

There’s also a number of strange problems with the file system – not listing some .png, not recognizing something I just saved (sometimes I just save 3x and load the first one I saved.. the other two will be listed as “not .PNG”.

I like the interface and don’t see the need for icons, but to each their own.

Comment by TheYak — June 16, 2006 @ 5:15 pm

23. On the tech side: Used with Flashme’d (v7) DS/M3SD works perfectly. Using my DSL w/ Max Media Launcher, the top screen is white w/ only one small square in the bottom-right black. I can see any text that extends into that area. The app itself works the same, just kind of a pain to use without status messages.

Comment by TheYak — June 21, 2006 @ 11:54 pm

24. Launched from Moonshell 1.31(Final) works perfectly.

Comment by TheYak — June 22, 2006 @ 1:31 am

25. With my DSL w/ Passcard3 and M3-miniSD, I needed to load it from Moonshell as well (only tried 1.31).

Requests besides Zoom and Undo-
    Flipbook.. Just let it have multiple pictures and maybe onion skin the previous one. The only existing flipbook program has 30 frames with previous shown faded, but not as good drawing tools and no saving. ( http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php?topic=579.0 )

Comment by Ghost — June 28, 2006 @ 11:24 pm

26. The weirdest thing ever keeps happening to me; every time I try to save to CF/SD, my entire memory card gets blanked. Everything gets entirely wiped out. Roms, saves, even the PNG and Draw R10. You name it.

What could the problem possibly be? This doesn’t happen to anything else that I’ve come across.

This a great app, and I hope to be able to use it more. I ran it on an M3 Mini SD with a standard Kingston Mini SD 1GB memory card, under FlashMe v7.

Comment by Rowdy_Sunstrider — July 19, 2006 @ 12:05 am

27. [...] Minor update here, no new features. Only change from last version is I’m testing with the new alpha version of libfat. Currently loading is DISABLED as libfat does not support directory listing yet. If you want a fully functional version, please see this previous post. [...]

Pingback by Robots w/Lasers » Draw Test with new libfat — July 24, 2006 @ 9:57 pm

28. great editor. only thing needed – undo, for a few steps back.

Comment by diver/4d — August 7, 2006 @ 1:44 am

29. Looks amazing. Does anyone know if this will work on the G6 Lite?

Comment by imec — September 4, 2006 @ 9:04 pm

30. I can’t find the saved images on my G6 Lite.

Does anyone know what to do since I’m in love with this app, but would very much like to be able to save my creations.

/Mirakel_Jocke

Comment by mirakel_jocke — September 19, 2006 @ 5:26 am

31. Just ‘cos folks have been asking… I’ve been using this version of Draw fine on my G6 Lite! I use it mostly as a ‘doodle pad’, since the inability to save as an actual *file* (ie. png) as you can (I presume) with the later non-flash cart (removable media) version, but I’m still able to fully use this homebrew as intended… ie. I can save to memory, turn it off, load the program up later and reload my saved pic. Anyway, just wanted to let other G6 owners know! Cheers, Banjo

Comment by Banjo — September 22, 2006 @ 7:16 am

32. To use with G6 or other standard flash carts:

Simply use the ‘Save to SRAM’ option to save your drawing. Then, using your flashcart software, transfer the SRAM or .sav file from the flashcart to your PC, and rename it to .png. I can’t be much more specific than that, as I do not know how to use the various flashcart applications.

Comment by davr — September 22, 2006 @ 7:24 am

33. Holy… What do I have to do to get this on my DS? I could spend hours just screwing around drawing in the picto-chat program, being able to draw like this would so rule…

Comment by adsgfsdf — December 6, 2006 @ 3:54 am

34. Now if someone would make a music composition program for the DS…

Comment by adsgfsdf — December 6, 2006 @ 3:55 am

35. May you post a version whit supor for supercard sd? I dont understand a thing in Rain site, and dont know how to compile nds too. It will be great because I cant save my draws.

Comment by Leonardo — December 23, 2006 @ 7:18 am

36. jkjgtjhgtrjjrhgjhtrj and more info
    D

Comment by asd — January 1, 2007 @ 7:06 pm

37. Great program. it’s really awesome.

Just one problem. I cant save. In the program it looks like he is saving but there’s just a file of 0KB. I use a DS-xtreme.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comment by Triop — January 12, 2007 @ 7:02 am

38. Triop: Unfortunately, despite all their initial promisies, DS-X has released zero code and zero specs to homebrew developers. Thus if something is not working on DS-X, but works on other devices, your only option is to ask them for help.

Comment by davr — January 12, 2007 @ 7:24 am

39. Don’t work with Supercard MicroSD.. pleeeease ;__;

Comment by John — February 12, 2007 @ 1:28 pm

40. Again: great program!
    Just commenting on above: I’m using the DS-X card and before a firmware upgrade I was able to save and open to file and sucsessfully open the .png on PC.
    Now with new firmware on DS-X , I see the files being 0 kb, and even sometimes can only save to ram although I’m pressing the save to file button.. strange isn’t it?
    It makes me feel really unlucky cause Draw is a real value-adding app. To play games I can always buy them, but this is something unique.

I want to buy a new card and will give my DS-X to Dave, cause he’s the Man !

Comment by Ernst — February 13, 2007 @ 3:51 am

41. this program works on the dsx. You have to use the DLDI.

Comment by triop — March 6, 2007 @ 11:37 am

42. Here here for more audio apps, although you might try out NitroTracker here

Anyway, in regards to Draw — I too am a G6Lite user and am sad to report that the above,

“Simply use the ‘Save to SRAM’ option to save your drawing. Then, using your flashcart software, transfer the SRAM or .sav file from the flashcart to your PC, and rename it to .png. I can’t be much more specific than that, as I do not know how to use the various flashcart applications”

Simply is not working, as I have used the flashcart software to load the draw program, allocating 3 .0, .1 and .2 save extensions to the program, and reading the data back to PC, changing the extension to .png does not work. Very frustrating..

I hope you try this yourself, get a flashcart manufacturer like G6 to send you one to test/review. I’ll be hoping for a new revision that saves to a folder that can be browsed…

Comment by gozombie — March 10, 2007 @ 12:35 am