April 18, 2006

Smoother than ever

Next revision of my draw app is released, here are the new features:

• “Smudge” tool — will smear the colors around, can be used to create a ‘watercolor’ like effect
  • “Picker” tool — the standard ‘eyedropper’ tool, select a color from off of the canvas
  • Color picker enhancements — L button now exits the picker, also shows the current selected color in top right
  • Controls change — Change the current tool using the Left/Right buttons now.

Latest update

As always, I welcome feedback, and please send me your pictures as well!

Filed under: Draw,Nintendo DS — davr @ 9:49 am

1. Very nice, this is one of my favorite DS applications. The main thing that set it apart from the other paint-like apps. is its saving feature, which I love. The new smudge tool is also very good. If I can make a suggestion, I would like a left-hand/right-hand feature. I can draw with it as it is now, but if I could reverse the controls it would make drawing much quicker. Oh, and here are two images I made with an older version, I haven’t tried the smudge tool to its full extent, I’ll post a pic. using it later:
    http://i2.tinypic.com/vh49qq.png (just some abstract thing)
    Devil
    (made it to be a Devil/werewolf)

Comment by Codemaster — April 18, 2006 @ 11:34 am

2. for some reason,
    both on my supercard CF and GBAMP it works,
    but i get ..:.:.:. all over the top screen…
    and behind those weird dots i get the normal text…
    untill i start to smuge then it does weird output text…

whats wrong?…
    but the smuge tool works very cool,
    just wish i could read the top screen :(

Comment by swimgod — April 18, 2006 @ 1:04 pm

3. Yay! Smudge tool ftw!

Beach

Thats a beach I drew real qwick with it :D
    Yay!

Comment by Alucardd — April 18, 2006 @ 3:16 pm

4. UPDATE
    Ok, I fixed the bugs with the output on the top screen. It was a couple of really dumb mistakes, which just happen to work fine in the emulators, but not on a real DS.

I’ve re-uploaded, download from the same above links.

Comment by davr — April 18, 2006 @ 10:49 pm

5. Ähm…the SC-CF Link seems to be corrupt?…

Comment by Phaethon — April 19, 2006 @ 12:29 am

6. The archive of the sc cf version is corrupted…

ç__ç

Comment by salvoaga — April 19, 2006 @ 3:39 am

7. Sorry again guys…there was an error uploading I didn’t notice, I guess. I reuploaded (yet again). Thanks for your patience.

Comment by davr — April 19, 2006 @ 6:53 am

8. Hey, great bit of coding! Love it to bits.

Few ideas for the future:
    * Scrollable area bigger than the screen.
    * Zoom.
    * Layers. This would be a killer feature for me.

Obviously those are RAM-dependant, but I feel those would help immensely for using this for real work :)

Oh, and you seriously need to poke the authors of other homebrew (ScummVM, NitroTracker, and the various emulators). You’re one of the few that have managed to get writing to Supercard SD working, and for that I am eternally grateful. Spread the wealth :)

Cheers again for your efforts.

Comment by Jamie — April 19, 2006 @ 10:32 am

9. BTW, to get your zlib/png code to compile (thanks for it!), I had to change the zlib makefiles to use arm-elf-ar and arm-elf-ranlib.

Comment by Richard — April 19, 2006 @ 10:41 am

10. The bucket tool only works on a white background. If I bucket fill an area red, choose another colour and then use the bucket on the red area, nothing happens except some speckles of colour appear. If I use the eraser to remove some of the red, I can then use the bucket again with the other colour.

Comment by Adam — April 20, 2006 @ 9:27 am

11. I love this app! :)

Comment by OrR — April 20, 2006 @ 4:30 pm

12. This is what I’ve always wished for on the ds. The only things left that would make it the perfect drawing app for me would be setable opacity level for the brush and larger brush sizes. The ideal would be if it were like the standard Photoshop round brush. Gux
    Coffee break pic

Comment by Gux — April 21, 2006 @ 12:12 am

13. Hey it’s fantastic program !!!
    compliments for very good work
    do you think is possible to add feature of load png ?
    tnk u very much for your work :D

Comment by Mcign — April 21, 2006 @ 2:03 am

14. Great program !
    A “undo” function would be great !

Comment by Keroro — April 21, 2006 @ 8:23 am

15. Great program Dave! Definitely the best Paint prog. on the DS. Keep up the good work! I have two things to say about it, though. Next to “LEFT/RIGHT” you misspelled “change,” you put “chang tool.” I also think that you should put L/R for the color picker, because I noticed that both buttons provide the same function. What cool feature are you going to try to implement in the future? I’d like to see settable opacity, and maybe different brushes! Layers would be BA too. Thanks dude!

Comment by PWHerman — April 21, 2006 @ 2:07 pm

16. Just being able to save gave this one a permanent spot on my DS, with smooth and the color-picker, I’ve nearly got all I want. Now if it could just save how it looks on-screen. Here’s what I was messing with, down-sized with a blur in photoshop to get rid of some of the aliased lines it saved with:

Comment by TheYak — April 21, 2006 @ 8:53 pm

17. To TheYak:

It’s very simple to make it look like it does on the DS: Simply resize the output image to 50% (to 256×192), using smooth scaling (Biliniear or such in your photo program).

I could resize it down for you, but I give you the higher res one so you have the option.

btw, nice eye!

Comment by davr — April 21, 2006 @ 9:42 pm

18. Hey. Was shown this by iganokage recently. Very impressed! Had to start messing with it straight away :D Smudge is loadsa fun!

Be really cool maybe to be able to re-open old saves to continue working on them. I realise that wouldn’t exactly be trivial to implement but it would be very cool nonetheless :)

My efforts aren’t quite up to much but here’s a quick pic I did:

Comment by nemasin — April 22, 2006 @ 12:10 am

19. Also some ideas for DRAW app : some post effects like hor., vert. , quad mirror, invert, radial, zoom blur,kaleidoscop and so would be nice! :)

Comment by david bennar — April 22, 2006 @ 3:06 pm

20. Amazing work, I just love it – it’s what the nds was designed for!

A few suggestions (that I’m sure you’ve already thought of) from little ‘ol me:

[easy?]
    - To allow the brush to be made as large as you want, would be good for creating washes of colour.
    - To place a little cross-hair on the swatches panel, so you can see where the current selected colour is.
    - When coming out of the swatches panel automatically switch it from picker (I lost so many colours that way!).

[hard?]
    - Opening up other files, and being able to name them when saving would be great.
    - Being able to set the alpha of a colour would be good too
    - To get around the whole canvass size thing, it would be *great* to have an overview in the top screen, which you can switch to for selecting your zoomed view. Generally, any kind of zooming would be neeto.

[bugs?]
    - The fill bucket seems a little confused for me, It wont fill over another fill.
    - On my DS i have an area to the top right that produces ‘crazy jumping lines’ 99% sure it’s just my screen being a bit worn, but it might be something else.

Again amazing work, really looking forward to the next version…

;)

Comment by chris — April 23, 2006 @ 7:15 am

21. You should read what he already has planned before suggesting things, as he already has most of those on his to do list.

Comment by Alucardd — April 23, 2006 @ 8:10 am

22. this is my favorite ds prog!!
    i dont use smudge at all.
    would be great if i can, open file & edit….
    what i really really really want to see is UNDO & REDO function.

Comment by bunky — April 23, 2006 @ 3:03 pm

23. Think of the flashcard users man! I have a flashcard and it wont run. >.> Why dont you allow SRAM saving and have proc.exe process .sav files as well? That would make me and others very happy.

Comment by alexa999 — April 24, 2006 @ 4:28 pm

24. UPDATE: Below file was updated, I’ve had one successful report. I’d like to get some more before I make a blog post. Please test it and reply here if you have a flash cart with SRAM, thanks.
    Latest Update

Right now, I don’t do any checking, so it is very possible the PNG will not fit into SRAM. (I think standard SRAM size is 32KB or 64KB, I’m not sure…I’ve made a png drawing of over 100KB once.) To keep sizes low, don’t use the smudge tool. Again…let me know if it works, and I will combine sram saving with saving to file on cf/sd in the next release.

Instructions:

1. Draw a squiggle
    2. Press Y to save to SRAM
    3. Dump SRAM to your PC using flash cart software
    4. Rename the .sav file to a .png file, and try to open it
    5. Post a comment back here saying if it worked or not

Comment by davr — April 24, 2006 @ 4:37 pm

25. Sorry I did not notice that until today ^_^;
    I will try it right after I get back from school tomorrow!

Comment by alexa999 — April 26, 2006 @ 6:40 pm