April 10, 2006

RLE compression, Color Picker

Ok, three main new features:

• Color Picker! Press L to bring it up, then tap the color you want
  • Multiple Saves! Each image is saved with the current date & time
  • RLE Compression! The saved image size is a lot smaller, to save space on your CF/SD card. (Press Y to save with compression, B to save without) UPDATE: Now saves to PNG directly on the CF/SD card in R7

Previous versions tested to work on GBAMP, M3-CF, M3-SD. Please post your results so I can see, as well as your device type so I know where it works. Thanks!
Latest update

lame drawing
Filed under: Draw,Nintendo DS — davr @ 1:07 pm

1. Here’s an image made by MrShlee: penguin

Comment by davr — April 10, 2006 @ 2:25 pm

2. Hello again,

FYI I think you should keep going with this as a full app, its great and I’m very interested in it.

In regards to the new version, is there something different about the touch sensitivity or line generation? I’m not sure if it’s because I upgraded my M3-CF to firmware e18 or if it’s R6 of Draw but when I try to draw continous lines they end up with many gaps in the line… a problem I didn’t notice with R5 and e16… here’s an example pic

Great Job with multiple saves btw! I can’t wait to use it properly once I can draw without gaps… might try downgrading the M3 firmware in case it was that…

Also a suggestion re: the colour picker; it’s nice to have the many different hues and such but would a swatch system (the grid of square colour swatches ala. Macromedia Fireworks) be better suited to this situation? Or even a partial swatch system with black/white/primary colours in a bar on the side so you can get pure black or white easily? Just my thoughts :)

Comment by iganokage — April 10, 2006 @ 4:10 pm

3. Seems to be working on SuperCard SD but i can’t read .rle :( the software work it write a file when i save but i dont know if the save is good.
    but nice app ^^

Comment by PoUpA — April 10, 2006 @ 4:17 pm

4. to iganokage:
    Evil touchscreen strikes again :(

I don’t get the gaps on mine (as you can see from my scribbly pic above). Try pressing slightly harder (not too hard! don’t blame me if you break it!). Also, don’t draw too fast, currently my code discards any movements that are too fast — this helps stop the ‘jumping lines’ problem, where it draws lines when you don’t want them.

to PoUpa:
    You have to use the included ‘proc.exe’ to convert .rle into a standard .png
    Instructions are included in the README.txt: 1. copy .rle file to same folder as proc.exe 2. drag and drop the .rle file onto the proc.exe
    If you can’t get it to work, or if you have some other OS, I set it up so you can upload your .RLE file here, and it will return a .PNG file to you: RLE to PNG converter

Comment by davr — April 10, 2006 @ 4:36 pm

5. On my DS this produces gaps as well :(

Comment by dan — April 11, 2006 @ 4:05 am

6. Oh yeah! Screenshots:

I really pushed the stylus very hard.

Comment by dan — April 11, 2006 @ 4:06 am

7. ok work fine on supercard SD ^^ next time i will RTFM ^^

Comment by PoUpA — April 11, 2006 @ 6:47 am

8. It works perfectly with SuperCard SD

Comment by Tony Cool — April 11, 2006 @ 6:49 am

9. heres a quick sketch which turned into a horror story when a desert island was too bare so a dead guy and an arriving ship filled in a bit of space. i suck at drawing but lurve this software. great work dr island

Comment by evilsim — April 11, 2006 @ 8:14 am